This is our City: Perspective Needed But Gutted & Annoyed Doesn't Even Describe How I Felt After FA Cup Loss

12 May 2013

Perspective Needed But Gutted & Annoyed Doesn't Even Describe How I Felt After FA Cup Loss

Yesterday I had a Gig to DJ so missed the FA Cup final, my job in a way requires me to be upbeat and happy. It turned out to be a very long night after witnessing the long and disappointed face of a young City fan arriving in his City shirt and scarf. When I got chance I approached him and said "chin up lad there's always next year and you're not alone" after checking the score on my phone, his reply was "your a City fan too" with a smile. (Southern based City fans you see, we're in small numbers down here).

Should Roberto Mancini lose his job?

There are those who wish him sacked and those who are die hard fans wishing him to stay, then there are those in between like me who are neither die hard or wanting him sacked. From the start I was a die hard Mancini fan, I even bought a metal Mancini portrait badge for my City badge collection. Despite our recent humble success under the Sheikh Mansour era, I found myself losing faith little by little in Roberto.

30 odd years of supporting Manchester City though has taught me to have a little more perspective, we have seen far too many managers at Manchester City for mine and many other City fans liking. Although this season has been a complete disaster in terms of winning any silverware, we do still have Champions League football to look forward too next season. A consolation prize I guess you could call it for a promise of more and a gift of less, I do believe however that despite Mancini's naive tactics, strange substitutions and bad timing, he does deserve to at least get one more season with a successful summer transfer window to prove he is the man to continue to take us forward. I'd like to credit this seasons failure to Brian Marwood for failing to land a replacement for Nigel Dejong, as well as not performing well enough in the transfer market.

You could also lay blame on Mancini not giving John Guidetti a chance, but if Marwood did his job right we probably wouldn't have even needed to play Guidetti. On that note I think Mancini could have at least given Guidetti a chance out on the wing, one area in which we desperately need out and out wing men. Something Wigan capitalised on in the final, our players rely heavily on cutting inside all the time. Dzeko has suffered due to our lack of wingers who can whip in aerial balls, Dzeko is so strong in the air and I think we would be silly to let him leave (that is unless he wants to leave himself anyway).

Certain players need to have a good look at themselves and ask whether they deserve their wages, one thing we lack as football intelligence in all positions, I understand Mancini has to take some of the blame for not motivating well enough pitch side but the team should be more than capable of thinking as a team and adapting to changes in the oppositions play.

I'm avoiding the fall out of the FA Cup to ease the disappointment as I am sure some of you are too, one thing that does concern me though is this Manuel Pellegrini rumour spreading like wildfire. I admit I don't know much about him other than a report that he knows a few languages including Argentinian and Spanish. Just one glance at his achievements as a manager makes me think 'Why?' He has achieved hardly anything worth shouting about so I pray it's just a sick joke of a rumour.

On that note this may or may not be my last article of the season but, I have a very busy period approaching so will be taking a break from winding up the rags and typing rubbish for you all to waste your time on lol.

Looking forward to the transfer window, hopefully our club can finally get it right with Txiki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano in charge.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/5/13

    Congratulations to Wigan on a fantastic victory. This was another very disappointing performance from city, no pace, no width. Mancini must take the responsibility for team selection, leaving Milner and Dzeko out of the starting line up was a fatal mistake. I get the impression that Mancini has lost the dressing room and it’s time for a change of manager.

    Very impressed with McManaman,looks like a class act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree apart from needing a change of manager, let Mancini see out his contract. Txiki and Soriano will make sure we get the best players for City, if then Mancini fails we won't have to pay him off and we can move on. Personally I hope he succeeds because we need stability and if City stick by Mancini, it will send out an important message out to the rest of the league and our players. I believe the fact Clichy and Zabaleta had no protection, allowed McManaman and co to take advantage so I won't be so quick to praise a player who is yet to prove he deserves praising after a long season of consistant performance.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12/5/13

    There's a reason why PSG, Real and Chelsea have all been linked with Pelligrini. His work with Villareal was exceptional. He transformed a lower midtable team into Champions League semifinalists in just a few years. You'll remember too that he set a record points total with Real a few years ago and onnly lost his job because Barca ALSO set their points record.

    He's lost many top players at Malaga and has still managed to improve them over the past two years. From what I hear he's also not afraid to use orthodox wingers. My understanding of his system is a 4-2-2-2. One winger stays wide and the other drifts inside as needed. I will have to do more research on him, but I think he can do a job for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the day we have no choice whether Mancini goes or Pellegrini arrives, if he does arrive then we have to believe in our clubs choice.

      The thought of us going back to using wingers is something I have been screaming for these past few seasons, despite winning the FA Cup and Premier League title so ill be happy with that alone.

      Delete

Abusive or inappropriate comments will not be published, please keep it appropriate.